Keep America Beautiful Litter Index
According to standards set by Keep America Beautiful, roadsides are ranked on a scale of 1 to 4 (1 representing no litter, to 4 being extremely littered). This program allows for a more systematic approach to litter control within Carbondale. The City is divided into 4 quadrants, plus SIU; each area has 10 sub-areas which are rated by 3-4 scorers. Carbondale’s total average score is approximately 1.45-1.65 each year. This year the overall average was 1.565, and for the first time in recent memory, all areas were under 2!
Cigarette Litter Prevention
Cigarette butts are the #1 litter item in the WORLD, creating toxic waste which is hazardous for animals and plants.
There are some things being done about it!
- Follow this for more info: Cigarette Butts--the most littered item in America
- KCB received a grant in 2014 from KAB and Altria to develop our Cigarette Litter Prevention Program. Our focus is South Illinois Avenue from College to Main.
- With a little help from our friends, we placed smokers outposts and wall-mounted ashtrays at several places where the property owner was willing to empty them.
- We passed out hundreds of personal ashtrays and auto ashtrays (that fit into a cup holder). They have been very popular. If you'd like one - get in touch!
- Keep Carbondale Beautiful's Cigarette Litter Prevention Program WSIU's morning conversation. Listen here.
- Check out this technique to get people to happily dispose of their cigarette butts properly:
- Wherein you'll find links to Impact on environment including fish.